There’s no doubt that everyone loves free stuff, so certainly, running a giveaway is far greater than many other online marketing methods. It’s an effective web marketing channel to help grow your business – from a single giveaway you can gain more followers, increase your email subscribers, get new customers, boost your sales, and boost brand awareness.
However, there are inherent risks that come with running a giveawat. It’s important to think carefully about how you can take full advantage of everything that a giveaway can offer for your online marketing campaign.
Being an expert in promoting a brand through giveaway, we have listed tips and tricks that will help you run a successful free giveaway online. Take a look at our secret sauce!
1. Plan Your Giveaway
Remember the popular adage – Failing to plan is planning to fail – so before you run an online giveaway, you need to plan it out and have a set of predetermined goals. What is the purpose of the giveaway? Do you want to increase social media followers and subscribers? Or you just want to build brand awareness?
The goal that you create will determine the type of contest that you will run and product that you will give away. Choose an item that makes sense in the context of your business. For example, an online shop might offer free $50 gift card to their store. A software company might offer a free download or trial of their product.
Additionally, during the planning stage, you also need to determine your budget, eligibility, and any other requirements and guidelines for the entrants.
Here’s a list of questions to ask yourself that will guide you through the planning stage:
- What’s the prize?
– Identify the prize with much details and make sure you make it attractive & exciting.
- Who can enter?
– Details about eligibility. Who’s allowed to join, as well as those excluded.
- How long will the giveaway run?
– Clearly set out the beginning and end date of the giveaway.
- How to enter?
– Let the readers know what they need to do to earn an entry. Most marketers use widgets like rafflecopter to accept entries.
- How will you choose the winner?
– Randomly or not, make sure to tell the entrants the parameters in choosing a winner.
2. Promote Your Giveaway
As with any marketing event, you need a solid marketing strategy that will accelerate your giveaway and hit your goals. Here is a list of channels you could consider in promoting your giveaway:
- Email Newsletter:
– Send out an email blast to your current list announcing your online giveaway. Reaching out to your existing subscribers gives you an opportunity to jump-start the giveaway and gives them an opportunity to engage with your brand. Who knows, they might end up sharing the giveaway with their friends and family.
- Blog Posts:
– If you have a blog, make sure to write a post to announce your giveaway. It should include a short description about the prize and the giveaway, how to enter, what the prizes are, and when will it end. Blog post is a great way to make your giveaway compelling so be good with words.
- Giveaway Directories:
– There are sites where you can submit giveaway and have them link it directly to your giveaway. Most are free, some are paid, while some have the option for featured listing where you need to pay to enhance the visibility of your giveaway in the directory. You can visit our list of giveaway directories but do not forget that you can also submit your giveaway here at Giveaway Monkey.
- Pay-Per-Click (PPC):
– If your marketing budget allows, use PPC like Google Adwords – It lets you target specific keywords that people are searching for and have your promotion show up in the search results. PPC is a great way to get the word out about your giveaway and reach your ideal customer… but it is very expensive.
- Social Media:
– Social media is the best channel to create a buzz about your giveaway. So if you have a great following on your social profiles such as Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, do not forget to promote your giveaway on it.
- Encourage Sharing:
– If you are using a giveaway tool that includes sharing the giveaway with friends and family to earn entries, enable that because it will create a viral loop.
Now that we’ve taken a look at the importance of giveaway in web marketing and our tips & tricks on how to run a successful giveaway, what are you waiting for? Run your own giveaway now and contact us to know how we can help you.
Have any other ideas on how to run a giveaway? Let us know in the comments below.